Sunday 3 March 2013

Interesting encounter with the po

On Friday I went with some friends to La Troje, a really old house aquite a way out of town where they have a first Friday party. This is where everyone gets together on the first Friday of the month and makes a burnt offering to Pachamama, Mother Earth, and shares around chicha which is maize liquor. It was really fun, there was traditional Bolivian music with pan pipes and alla that and also bands inside playing Bob Marley, and we danced a lot.


Then at about 12 we heard that migration was coming, but nothing happened for an hour so we though it was going to be fine. But then all the music stopped and there were loads of police everywhere, filing everyone out and checking their documents. And you see I forgot mine. All of the Bolivians I was with were adamant that they would definitely take me to migration and not let me go until I could show them my ID, or deport me. So I rang my friend who had managed to get out and asked her to go to my house, and get my passport and visa from my host mum.
As soon as got into the taxi to go there, we had almost squeezed out unnoticed, when the policemen noticed. I explained and they were fine about it, I just have to go to migration on Monday and show them I'm allowed to be here. Phew!

After that I went with my friends to Groove, a favourite. We had been there only 10 minutes, when someone turned off all the lights and got everyone to be quiet, as the police were coming and they had locked the door and were pretending to be closed to avoid trouble. What is this!?
And then we all could taste something in the air, people started sneezing and tearing, because the police had sprayed tear gas under the locked door. Unbelievable. So everyone first went out the back to the toilet to escape, and then out of the back door into someone's garden, who's dogs wouldn't stop barking and woke them up!
However after about 10 minutes it had gone so we went back and carried on dancing.

So all in all an interesting night!

No comments:

Post a Comment