Thursday 31 January 2013

Primera Semana


So this time last week I would have just arrived in Cochabamba.
View from La Paz airport
I remember flying in last week, it was just mountains, then suddenly you see Cochabamba spread out over a huge valley and overflowing either side over the hills. There's the huge Laguna Alalay, and the bare mountain in the middle with the Cristo de la Concordia which I am yet to climb.
Since I got here I have just been taking so much in every time I go anywhere, there is something different on every corner. I live in the north, and Proyecto Horizonte is 10km out of the city on the south side so I have to commute every day which takes about 45 minutes, unless I get lost. The transport here is crazy; there are micros, big bumpy buses, trufibuses which are like minibuses, and taxitrufis which are basically people carriers. To get to work I have to get 2 trufis and change halfway. The first time my friend came with me, the second time this guy happened to be going the same way as me so I was fine, and since then I am proud to say I can do it all by myself. You always have to check where they are going, like this morning I didn't, and he took an alternative route I didn't even know about and ended up somewhere peculiar and stressed out a little bit. But because I am a strong, independent and most certainly capable woman I managed to get back on the right way. Ahaha.
But on the way to work my eyes are just glued to the window as there is so much to see. A different dog on each street, ladies sat under huge sheets with huge piles of all kinds of different fruit and vegetables, a lot of construction work, corner shops with grilles in front, andone of my favourite places is la Cancha. It's a huge open market, I think it's the 2nd largest in the world, on my way home and it just goes on for ages and has stalls selling everything you could possibly need. It spreads out over streets and streets and has little alleyways inside buildings, there are different sections for everything; electicals, shoes, tyres, booze, etc etc and an alleyway entirely for beautifully decorated cakes. I've only been round lunchtime where all of the ladies bring their gas stoves and cook tasty food whilst they're selling. I have no photos because if I did I don't think I would have a camera any more.
The food here is delicious, my ma Chuly is indeed a great cook. Every morning I have mango, papaya, watermelon and sweet small bananas and tea. Lunch is the main meal, always with meat, I've had Pique Macho, lots of meat with fried taters and vegetables, aubegine lasagne with fried bananas, steak with something tasty on top, chicken ahhh it's all so tasty. And it's so hot! Around 25 degrees all day, and it always rains in the evening, really hard. So if you're caught out you get absolutely soaked.

And this is Proyecto Horizonte where I am working...





The main bit photographed above is where they have all of the offices, the health clinic, and also la guarderia for children up to 6. They also have a school up the road for children up to 17, as well as hosting night classes, and a football pitch down the hill where they have a football club, as well as various other things like a panaderia and crafts shop. It's a lot bigger than I expected, and seems to be run really well.

Work at Proyecto Horizonte started on Monday for me. As the children are not back from the holidays yet we have mainly been attacking the garden, which turned into a bit of a forest over the holidays as it's the rainy season. Managed to get sunburned in 2 different places!






At the moment it's really laid back as there is just the garden to do really, so days are quite short, but nextweek all the children come back to school/kindergarten so there will be a lot more work. I think I am going to be working with pre-school children aged up to 5 or 6... and I'll also be involved in marketing type activities; making a sample presentation about Proyecto Horizonte, and writing letters to donors.

And here is a photo of a moth that surprised me whilst pulling off some vines:




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesante ver la ciudad donde uno vive a través de los ojos de una persona extranjera
    Bienvenida.
    Te cuento algunas cosas más.
    - la laguna Alalay la cavaron los prisioneros en la guerra del chaco
    - Alalay también es una jerga cochabambina (aunque no muy usada) lo usan cuando se siente frío, si entras en una piscina y esta fría, dices; Alalay!!! Ejeje
    - Si alguna ves te pierdes en cocha, agarras un trufi o cualquier línea y le preguntas si esta yendo a la cancha, todos los transportes convergen ahí.
    - En la cancha tienes que tener mucho cuidado. No pongas tu mochila en la espalda, trata de manejar dinero cambiado (así no sacas mucho y te lo quitan de la mano), si llevas una cámara… mejor no la lleves o asegúrate de estar con un amigo guardaespaldas. Y si vas a hablar por teléfono, mira a los lados, tampoco hables por teléfono dentro el auto en el sector de la cancha, igual se suben y les arrebatan de las manos.
    - También en la cancha hay un lugar donde venden puras artesanías, tal vez te guste pasar por ahí, pregunta donde queda el sector de artesanías ;)
    - Y la variedad de fruta es mucha aquí. Sabias que hay 7 u 8 tipos de banana?? Tu solo conoces 1 y aquí tal vez conociste dos o tres. Creo que estamos en temporada de… busca achachairú, es una fruta muy rica. Y solo es por temporada.
    - También hay muchos platos, si preguntas un poco mas, vas a saber que cada día tiene su plato especial aquí (http://www.lostiempos.com/diario/actualidad/cochabamba-al-dia/20120914/cochabamba-un-dia-para-comer-y-el-otro-tambien_185416_393250.html )
    Por ejemplo, el cardan caldito (que no creo que te vaya a gustar de que esta echo ejejeje ) se sirve el lunes por la mañana, es un plato especial para curar el chaki (resaca del domingo de farra).
    Los platos que según yo son mas ricos y que tienes que probar, son la sopa de maní, laping, chicharrón y picante de lengua, sacta de papa lisa también es muy rico.

    Bueno, eso seria y bienvenida a Cochabamba, ciudad de mágico encanto!! Aunque me gustan mas sus provincias :D
    Postada: trabajo haciendo turismo, me puedes buscar o responder como: Bolivia.rafting@gmail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias para esto, son avisos muy utiles! No sabia que tienes un plato para todos los dias. Tengo muchas cosas que probar! Me gusta mucho tambien la sopa de mani y pollo. Y ya he ido a este lugar de la cancha; me encanta y voy a ir aca para comprar regalos cuando me voy. Muy interesante, gracias.

    ReplyDelete